[ltp] usb mouse on x30 with fedora core 3

John Shane linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 May 2005 15:29:56 +0200

On Sat, 14 May 2005 03:43:22 +0900
Michael Moyle <washu@theory.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> When I connect my usb mouse to the x30 it's performance (in x)  is
> choppy, unreliable, and eventually ceases to function altogether.
>
> Most examples I have seen (and used with gentoo) entail the trackpointer
> and the usb mouse on different devices. FC3 puts both mice on the same
> device (/dev/input/mice). Indeed, gpm is configured to run this device
> as well. Both gpm and X are unhappy sharing the device in this manner.
>
> Does anyone have a working example of sharing the trackpointer and usb
> mouse on fc3 or 2?
>
> It seems to me that it would be better if the trackpointer was forced
> back onto /dev/mouse (which does not exist presently). I have no idea
> how to put the trackpointer on /dev/mouse.
>
> Then the challenge is to set AlwaysCore or SendCoreEvents on the right
> device, and there seems to be some disagreement on this in the examples
> I have seen. My former gentoo setup worked marginally ok. The usb mouse
> would still crash on occasion. In fact that is one reason I am trying
> out fc3 now.
>
> thanks in advance,
> Michael

Michael, I use a USB mouse with my X30 and RH 9 (yes, it's old and am about
to upgrade ;-) without trouble. I can use USB mice and the pointer in the
keyboard.  In fact once when trying an external keyboard with built in
mouse I had three mice working simultaneously (X30 TrackPoint, external
keyboard TrackPoint plus an external USB mouse that was already connected
when I plugged in the keyboard).  I've copied a portion of my XF86Config
file below with the mouse setup.  Hope it helps.

John

> --

# XFree86 4 configuration created by redhat-config-xfree86

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

<snip>

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"