[ltp] Hard disk password & linux

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 May 2005 07:19:50 -0700

On Saturday 14 May 2005 05:01, Vijay Garla wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I thought I'd pose the question, although it has already been noted in
> some thinkpad linux faqs, but here goes: is it possible to use the
> hard-disk password with linux?  I've heard the answer is no, but was
> wondering if there has been any progress on this front.
I never realized there might be a problem.    I have always had the disk
password in effect, on a series of 3 T20s, and a T40, running
RH7.2,7.3,SuSE7.3,SuSE9.1 and 9.2.  On the T20s, it was not possible to
reboot directly from Windows to linux, it was necessary to power off and go
back through the disk password.  The T40 reboots reliably from Windows to
linux.  Sometimes WinXP hangs when started directly after linux.

--
Tim Prince