[ltp] T41p, HD getting hot (~41C) with no reason ?

Rolf Adelsberger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 May 2005 08:32:07 +0200

> Message: 1
> To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
> Subject: Re: [ltp] T41p, HD getting hot (~41C) with no reason ?
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Fran=E7ois_Fleuret?= <francois.fleuret@epfl.ch>
> Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 13:15:01 +0200
>
> Hi people,
>
> <Martin Eslon> wrote on 13 May 2005 16:59:43 MET:
>
> > Most HDD temperature monitoring software' go red on 44-45C, but they
> > are mostly designed for desktop computers and 3" harddrives. Laptop
> > drives should stand bit higher temperatures eg maybe up to 50C.
>
> My problem is not really that I fear the HD will have a failure, it is
> more that I do not like it to remains cool for hours and heats up for
> no reason, and cools down only after a hard-reboot. That does not look
> like "normal computer behavior" to me. Beside that, the HD temperature
> is highly uncomfortable under my right palm. I tend to prefer less
> efficient but comfortable computers :)
>
> So, should I understand that I am the only one having such an odd
> problem with his T41p ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --=20
> Fran=E7ois Fleuret                              EPFL - CVLAB/LCN

Hi!

You made me somehow curious about the hd temp. Therefore, I monitored it the whole day yesterday. The result was that it never exeeded 35 C. And this temperature was only reached after a rather extensive compilation session (emerge world under gentoo). It seems as if your hard disk really _does_ behave strangely.

Good luck!

Cheers,
R.