[ltp] T41p, HD getting hot (~41C) with no reason ?

Andy Schnaendy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 May 2005 14:41:35 +0200

Hi.

Michael B Allen wrote:
> Mine says 45 here. But the underside of the machine (T30) doesn't feel
> hot at all. Where the CPU is feels much warmer.

I can confirm average HDD temps of 45C as well. What's biting me is my
CPU temperature, which averages in _idle_ state around 60C, going up to
69C when pushing it. Sometimes it even starts smelling a little.

System: Thinkpad R32, Pentium 4 Mobile 1.6GHz, with or without port
replicator
OS: Debian Sarge, standard Debian Kernel 2.6.8-2-686, ibm-acpi not yet
installed
Cpufreqd doesn't change a thing, no visible change when running at 1.2GHz

andy@deedlit:~$acpi -V
      Battery 1: discharging, 90%, 01:05:56 remaining
      Thermal 1: ok, 61.0 degrees C
      Thermal 2: ok, 50.0 degrees C
   AC Adapter 1: off-line

Thermal 2 stays at 50C constantly, no change at all. If this is software
related, what have I missed, where do I need to look?

Thanks
Andy