[ltp] Lightening Debian

Damir Hakimov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 May 2005 08:57:47 +0400

cr wrote:

>I've just installed Debian Sarge on my  Thinkpad i1200 (550MHz, 64MB RAM) and
>it's very overloaded in X with Metacity as the default window manager, it
>just about grinds to a halt.   I'd hoped it wouldn't, since Debian Woody
>(with Sawfish as default window manager) runs quite happily, even apps like
>Opera, Quanta, Gimp etc without a trace of sluggishness.

I've got TP600 (300Mhz PII, 128MB RAM), and I had freeze Gnome too,
since I replaced HDD.
Now I'm using Gnome whith no Nautilus for background (there is
root-tail), and whith xnc as file manager. All of this exist in distrib.
See Linux Gazette Issue 110 (in distrib too) in "More 2 Cent Tips!" for
making startX whithout Desktop Managers.

Good Luck!
Damir