[ltp] Mandriva LE 2005 failed install on TP A21P

Bernard Tremblay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 15 May 2005 22:13:33 -0400

Hi,

I have been unable to install Mandriva LE 2005 on my thinkpad A21P. The
cdrom become unavailable during the install and lots of errors messages
can be seen about /dev/hdc in the LOG console (/dev/hdc media errors).
I had a Mandrake 10.0 and I am doing a completely new install. I saved
my
home folder on a backup folder and reformated the /partition. When I
come
to choose the packages they are not accessible from the CDROM and it
says my
selection is missing the base packages...  I tried the standard install,
the text install, to copy the CDROMs to the hard disk before is not
working either.
I could not intall Mandrake 10.1 (same problem), I could not install
knoppix 3.8
: same problem...  But I finally installed from a base DEBIAN sarge
install  on CDROM with an FTP access for the rest of the packages. I
have a kernel 2.6.8.11, KDE 3.3 and the CDROM is working perfectly now

I'm still very unhappy to have downloaded Mandriva LE2005 6 CD wich is a
fairly big download ... It did install quite well on my other home
machine without any major problem. I know the media I'm using is not
corrupted and the thinkpad CDROM and hard disk are OK too.

So WHAT'S WRONG WITH MANDRIVA LE 2005 OR THE KERNEL THAT TRANSFORM THE
THINKPAD INTO A NICE DEBIAN MACHINE ???

Regards,
BT
--