[ltp] UI chooser for non-root switching of xorg.conf prior to starting X? - plus sample xorg.conf files for T41p...

Chris Almond linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 May 2005 17:13:59 -0500

I would like to be able to start X with -config passed to it  from some
kind of user friendly chooser, to switch on which xorg.conf file to use
depending on what I'm doing at that time (for instance, switching
between in office w/external 1280 TFT panel on second head, or in
meeting room w/beamer attached on 2nd head, or singlehead on native
LCD).  Currently I'm switching by setting default init level to 3,
logging onto console as root then doing the following..

# cd /etc/X11
# ln -s /etc/X11/xorg.conf.<head_setup_I_need>  /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# init 5

Has someone built a chooser app or script that will prompt me for what
setup I need - maybe present a list of choices - where I don't need to
login as root first.... in fact where I can just set default run level
to 5 and be prompted for which xorg head config I need?  I looked into
doing this with GDM xsession choices, but I don't think this approach
works - I don't see a way to pass X server startup parameters to
gnome-session or startkde from the display manager.