[ltp] Hard disk password & linux

Wed, 18 May 2005 01:09:17 +0200

--=-WhvYWVV5Yk4ZjPjTUMvb

Hi,

> So, hdd passwords are even easier to set up than filesystem level=20
> encryption, and the key is not stored unencrypted on the hard disk (as=20
> certainly will happen in suspend-to-disk).  The question i was posing=20
> was if anybody had tried this yet; theoretically it should work. =20
> However, the devil lies in the details, and certain constellations don't=20
> work, for whatever reasons, and I do recall reading in one of the linux=20
> for laptop thinkpad faqs, that hdd passwords did not work.

without knowing much about it, or having tried it, this sounds a bit
illogical to me. As you are stating yourself, the HDD password is part
of ATA, or more specifically it's a feature of the hard drive itself.

Plus from how i always understood it it is handled on BIOS level, so
that once the BIOS has communicated the right password the harddisk
allows access (probably until it is powered off again). Hence according
to my understanding the operating system is not involved in it at all
and hence there shouldn't be any problem.

Andr=E9.

--=-WhvYWVV5Yk4ZjPjTUMvb

--=-WhvYWVV5Yk4ZjPjTUMvb--