[ltp] Hard disk password & linux

Senectus . linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 May 2005 10:59:19 +0800

On 5/18/05, Peter B. West <lists@pbw.id.au> wrote:
> Vijay Garla wrote:
> >
> > So, to summarize, has anybody set their hdd password?  No big deal -
> > I'll give it a shot, but I'd like to create an image of my harddrive
> > first, just in case (again, bad experiences mucking with partitions and
> > the hard drive in the past).

I'm pretty sure that HD password is saved in the BIOS and therefore
gets accessed at POST, so after it's used it's not seen by the OS.
PS don't ever forget it because it's impossible to reset, IBM will
flat out refuse to help and can only be fixed by a BIOS Chip or
Motherboard replacement.

--=20
Ubuntu Hoary 5.04=20
Our OS who art in CPU, LINUX be thy name. Thy programs run, thy
syscalls done, In kernel as it is in user!
http://www.modmeup.net