[ltp] ATI-drivers

Mario Limonciello linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 May 2005 10:30:52 -0400

Florian Dorpmueller wrote:

> Have you seen
> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2005-April/025543.html
> ?
>
> Not very helpful but a hint.
>
> Flori
>
>> From: Peter Lemken <peter@bloatware.de>
>> To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
>> Subject: [ltp] ATI-drivers
>> Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:32:31 +0200
>>
>> Hi FeRD,
>>

>> have you received any positive response from the mailing list so far?
>>
>> As an owner of an R51 I would be extremely grateful to see a
>> resolution of the
>> problems with ATI cards, such as suspend, powersave, console
>> switching and
>> temperature control.
>>

>> Peter Lemken
>> Berlin
>> --

As for suspending, search the list for some posts by me some month or
two ago.  I posted some information how to use vbetool, which you can
use when suspending to ram or to disk.  The problems with switching vt's
still do exist, and if you suspend to ram you will still have a slowdown
coming back up to X.

I look especially forwardto powersave features in a future driver
however, which along with - the temperature control problem will be
taken care of.

For suspending, I have just flat out stopped using suspend-to-ram.  I
just suspend to my swap partition every single time, so I can leave the
machien in the state it was and continue where I was without having to
kill X.  Takes a few extra cycles to save that much into swap, but hey
its worth it to be able to keep using the machine where I left off next
time its powered on.