[ltp] Hard disk password & linux

Martin Eslon linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 May 2005 13:32:13 +0300

There is a faint memory in my corrupted brain somewhere that thinkpads take=
=20
only 7 character  passwords, but they let you enter longer ones eg you=20
enter 10 character password, confirm it, reboot, type in your 10 characters=
=20
and get error on eight' character while typing. That can be quite a=20
heartstopper... I'm not quite sure on this info, but.... just in case.

BTW. since i used to work quite a lot with hardware i had to change boards=
=20
on harddrives couple of times - it's not that hard. so if the psw is in the=
=20
board that's on the back of the hdd it's quite easy to bypass the psw with=
=20
screwdriver and a second hdd (or just a board). but if the psw is in the=20
chip in thinkpad i could just put the hdd in another computer and if it=20
still want's a password (beacuse it does'nt know the psw but expects one -=
=20
like a public/private key encryption deal) i could also switch hdd board. i=
=20
don't get it ... yet (i hope).