[ltp] Speedstep?

Christoph Ulrich Scholler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 21 May 2005 22:28:07 +0200

Hi,

On 20.05. 13:02, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Apparently I need to load a module, speedstep-centrino being the
> obvious choice. But for my CPU (on a T42p):

You will also need to load the cpufreq_userspace module.  Then start
powernowd.

Stepping throught the CPU speeds needs to be controlled by something.
In this case it is called governor.  The default governor is usually
'performance', which sets the CPU to the highest speed possible (while
heeding bios-imposed limits).  The userspace governor provides an
interface in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ which is used by
powernowd.

Regards,

uLI