[ltp] Speedstep?

Yury Prilutsky linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 22 May 2005 12:56:06 -0700

On Friday 20 May 2005 10:02 am, Norman Walsh wrote:
> I recently decided to install powernowd. I'm afraid I've forgotten
> exactly why. I tried, it didn't work, I ignored it for a while, I
> noticed again this morning that it didn't work, and I went off to poke
> about.
>
> Apparently I need to load a module, speedstep-centrino being the
> obvious choice. But for my CPU (on a T42p):
>
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 13
> model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.00GHz
> stepping        : 6
> cpu MHz         : 1993.779
> cache size      : 2048 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 2
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
> clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe est tm2 bogomips        :
> 3956.73
>
> it says "no such device".
>
> Have I bungled something in the build (of 2.6.11.3)?

Norm,

I am not sure if it's related, but I remember having to patch the kernel with
cpufreq-speedstep-dothan-3.patch in order to have my powernowd setup working.
Now, lsmod is showing that speedstep_centrino is loaded.

I have pretty much the same T42p 2GHz hardware. Running Slackware current with
the generic kernel from kernel.org.

Yury