[ltp] An "inverse" fan problem

Michael Keyl linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 May 2005 17:11:29 +0200

Hi all,

while playing around with the ATLAS library (a highly tuned numerical linear
algebra library) I have encountered a new annoying problem with the fan of my
TP R51 (1.7 Ghz Banias cpu): If you torture your cpu really hard (like
hard-core numerics with all tricks like SSE2 and muladd operations) the fan
spins not fast enough and did not accelerate early enough to prevent the cpu
from reaching the "passive" temperature. With a small test programm (taking
the square of a randomly generated 1000x1000 matrix in an infinite loop) I
have figured out that the cpu clock goes down from 1.7Ghz to 1.2Ghz (which is
effectively a performance loss of 25%) after approx. 2 minutes. A more clever
fan control could (at least) extend this time, because the fan starts to
accelerate quite late (after the cpu reaches approx. 85C) and it does not go
beyond 3800 RPM. Is there anybody around with similar problems and/or ideas
towards a solution?

Michael Keyl