[ltp] Back light doesn't turn off

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 May 2005 14:22:35 -0400

On Tue, 24 May 2005 14:00:32 -0400
James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> wrote:

> I have a ThinkPad R31, running SuSE 9.3.  One thing I've noticed, it
> that when the screen blanks, after a period of inactivity, the back
> light stays on, unlike in Window, where it turns off.  Is there any way
> to get the back light to turn off, when it's not needed?

I'm not familiar personally with the R31, but on several other models of
Thinkpad this is a BIOS setting if you're using APM.

If you're using ACPI, you can probably access this through ibm-acpi

Something like /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness or maybe /proc/acpi/ibm/video ?

(Disclaimer:  I've never used ACPI on a Thinkpad because it always seemed
to lock mine up ... but ACPI works great on my JVC mini...)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/