[ltp] Back light doesn't turn off

Hartmut Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 May 2005 21:45:31 +0200

--nextPart1479545.CKufFH8SBD

Hi,

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 20:57, James Knott wrote:

> I haven't installed ibm-acpi.  According to the info I've read, the only
> thing it supports, on th eR31, is "hotkey".  Everything else is
> unsupported or untested.
>
> Also, there is no /proc/acpi/ibm directory.

Do a

  modprobe ibm_acpi

and the /proc/acpi/ibm will be there. If you like the functionality that is=
=20
offered through ibm_acpi than you can add "ibm_acpi" to the INITRD_MODULES=
=20
line in /etc/sysconfig/kernel:

  INITRD_MODULES=3D"piix reiserfs ibm_acpi"

(note that the other modules listed there might be different for your case).

The kernel in SUSE Linux 9.3 comes with version 0.10 of the ibm_acpi module:

thinkpad:~ # modinfo ibm_acpi
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.11.4-20a-default/kernel/drivers/acpi/ibm_a=
cpi.ko
author:         Borislav Deianov
version:        0.10
license:        GPL
vermagic:       2.6.11.4-20a-default 586 REGPARM gcc-3.3
supported:      yes
depends:
srcversion:     9685FE4C2E56EDC156B1DDA
parm:           experimental:int

That's not the most recent version of the module but it's a convinient way =
for=20
users of this distribution as you don't have to compile or install anything=
=20
but rather works out of the box. It certainly works for me (though I'm not=
=20
using a R31).

Greetings from Stuhr
hartmut