[ltp] Fresh install of SuSE 9.3 on X30, stick with APM or need to consider ACPI?

John Shane linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 May 2005 23:14:43 +0200

May I ask for some help to check my homework? ;-)  I'm about to wipe my X30
HD of the Win2K partition and the RH 9 installation and do a fresh install
of SuSE 9.3.

My main question at this point is whether I need to provide for a
hibernation partition when I repartition the HD (currently set up as dual
boot with Win2k but I've finished transitioning from the Windows programs
and data on that partition).  It appears that if I go with APM I need a
FAT16 or 32 hibernation partition but if I go with ACPI I don't need the
hibernation partition.  As I understand it the X30 uses APM and not ACPI.
However, it seems from what I've read on this list that I could use ACPI if
I really wanted to and there's the "How to make ACPI work" article on the
ThinkWiki site.

I have found what appear to be pretty complete instructions for setting up
suspend and hibernation under APM (granted they are for a Debian
installation but that shouldn't matter, should it?) and various people here
seem to be happy with APM.  Will I be missing something significant if I
stick with APM instead of using ACPI?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.   I'm sure I'm going to have
plenty of questions later. ;-)

Rgds, John