[ltp] T40, ACPI, and sleeping

Chris Frost linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 May 2005 12:14:15 -0700

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 07:04:15PM +0200, Michael Keyl wrote:
> As far as I have understood, the power drain problem is caused (at least on
> some models) by the fact that the radeon card is not switched off before the
> machine enters sleep mode. This is something which has to be done by the
> kernel and not by the X-server, and the natural place is somewhere within the
> radeon_fb driver. The patch you have mentioned adds such code (or more
> previsely enables some power- mac code also on intel machines). Hence, if the
> radeon card is really the culprit on your machine you need the patch to solve
> the problem and the radeon_fb driver has to be active during s2r. The savest
> method to guarantee this is to compile the radeon_fb driver into the kernel
> (not as a module) and to add video=radeonfb:force_sleep as a kernel
> parameter. If this does not help, the power drain is probably caused by a
> different component of your system (but I doubt that the graphics card is
> completely innocent if its a radeon).

Aha, thanks for this kernel argument suggestion. I mentioned in my original
follup to myself that I tried adding in the radeonfb. However, I set
the radeon_force_sleep = 1 in the source. When I use the force sleep
kernel argument and run thinkwiki's test script for twenty minutes,
it looks like the system is good!

Thu May 26 11:25:10 PDT 2005
before: 38490 mWh
after: 38240 mWh
diff: -250 mWh
seconds: 1331 sec
result: -676 mW
Congratulations, your model seems NOT to be affected.

Thus, the patch mentioned on thinkwiki appears to work on my 2379-D6U.

thanks Michael and Pete!
--
Chris Frost  |  <http://www.frostnet.net/chris/>