[ltp] Fresh install of SuSE 9.3 on X30, stick with APM or need toconsider ACPI?

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 May 2005 22:08:16 +1200

--nextPart4743192.fEfaCC9bCI

On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:14, John Shane wrote:

> Will I be missing something significant if I=20
> stick with APM instead of using ACPI?

The other way around, perhaps.

My T21 uses APM, and whether I suspend to RAM or hard disk, it asks for my=
=20
password on restore.

My T42 is set up with ACPI & swsusp2.  Restore from disk goes through norma=
l=20
boot, and it wants the password.  Restore from RAM goes right to a logged i=
n=20
system.  In X my screensaver password activates, but there's nothing to sto=
p=20
access to any console sessions I'm using.

I haven't looked into daemons that log out stale console sessions, and I'll=
=20
bet that's still not as good protection as a BIOS based password.

There's a recent thread here that hard disk passwords are expensive to crac=
k,=20
so that BIOS based disk password provides some good protection.

So, do you have critical data on your system?  Is it a company laptop, for=
=20
instance?

Hopefully your laptop won't be stolen, but if it is...Identify theft?  Acco=
unt=20
information?

Cheers,
Bret