[ltp] Is my T23 thinkpad hard drive failing?

Cheryl Homiak linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 May 2005 09:38:27 -0500

Hi all.
I am running gentoo and kernel 2.6.11. I'm afraid, though, that my
problem is probably hardware-related.

I get intermittent but pretty continuous sort of loud thrumming or
growling noises from my T23. I also am getting some errors about journal
aborting (am using ext3) and holes in directories. Is there any chance
this could be somehow related to my kernel or does this sound like my
hard drive is failing?

If it is my hard drive, have any of you been through this before? Can I
take it to a local computer shop to get the hd replaced and/or find out
what is wrong or would I have to send it in to IBM (I don't have any
warranties or anything like that at this point). How much do T23 hard
drives cost; this one is a 30gg.
Tia.

At this point the machine is still largely functional most of the time
but I'm trying to make sure I have everything essential backed up in
case the whole thing dies.

--
Cheryl

"Where your treasure is,