[ltp] external monitor Fn-F7

Mon, 30 May 2005 23:02:10 +0200

--=-5nAps5aFcPVBUwxvIxn7

Hei,

> Does anyone here use a docking station?

Yepp. Do you mean docking station or port replicator?

> This works for now, but I'm
> buying a 19" LCD soon and would like to be able to set up some kind of
> script so when I dock my system it clones the screen onto the external
> LCD, and doesn't care if I close my monitor's lid.=20

On my T41p the latest ibm-acpi version finally seems to report the
docking state properly. So that yould be a start. I don't know if it
also generates an event on hot-docking, but i'd expect it to.

Either it's own display switching or maybe an other tool should be able
to switch your display. At least there's hope for that. ;-) I don't know
how well xorg/your display driver supports this at current state.

> The current xorg.conf I have seems to load a generic gnome setup,
> because not only aren't my desktop files shown on the external monitor,
> my panel isn't customized. I don't understand how that's possible.

When does it do that? When you power up in docked state? Hmm...launching
gnome has nothing to do with xorg.conf. What could possibly happen is
that you get into dual head instead of cloning. So gnome would extend
it's desktop to the external screen, of course not duplicating the panel
apps and desktop icons. When you log in in GDM, do you see the login
screen only on one monitor or on both? If on one only, but your gnome
desktop on both that would mean you are walking with two heads on your
shoulders.

Andr=E9.

--=-5nAps5aFcPVBUwxvIxn7

--=-5nAps5aFcPVBUwxvIxn7--