[ltp] Thermal problem on R50p

Andre Timmermannn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 31 May 2005 14:17:24 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 31.05.2005, 12:08 +0200 schrieb Michael Keyl:

> Have tried you the ibm_acpi module? You get info about the fan speed and more
> temperatures among others. The driver is included in 2.6.10 kernel (I think)
> but not a very recent one. You should check the web page at
>
> http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/
>
> and load the driver with the experimental=1 option.

Thanks for the hint. I was not aware of this experimental-option.
Unfortunately the ibm-acpi-version in the 2.6.11.11 is quite old. so I
will take the time and recompile just everything.

The webpage says that my model supports those fan-thing now...

> As a possible workaround for your problem you should reduce the cpu manually
> (via the files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq) to a value which
> prevents the cpu from overheating during processor intensive tasks. (on my
> machine this is 1.4Ghz instead of 1.7Ghz).  I hope this helps a bit ...

Let's see, if doom3 runs with that speed *g

Thank you for your help, I will keep you (and the list) up to date with
my approach.

Greetz,
Andre