[ltp] xorg 6.8.2

Florian Dorpmueller linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 31 May 2005 21:59:33 +0000

On my Thinkpad R51 I have now xorg 6.8.2 running. Building the package from
the sources was no problem. But there are some annoying things which I'd
like to mention - maybe to get your experiences here.

First the difference in the behaviour of the fan seems to be very small. I
can see no significant distiction here. Secondly the starting of the
x-server lasts more than twice the time than the xfree-server and I think
that the rendering performance is not as good as with xfree86.

Than during the last days one more aspect occured which is a bother too: The
starting process of the x-server is not very reliable. About every forth or
fifth time it fails with the following lines (from Xorg.0.log)

Synaptics DeviceOff called
(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
(II) RADEON(0): [RESUME] Attempting to re-init Radeon hardware.
(II) RADEON(0): [agp] Mode 0x1f000201 [AGP 0x8086/0x3340; Card
0x1002/0x4c57]
Synaptics DeviceOn called
(--) Touchpad touchpad found
(II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded Synaptics DeviceOff
called
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xe0b87000 at 0xb5ee5000

But one aspect is positive: With xorg I have OSD with xfree not.

What experiences do you have?

Flori