[ltp] Thinkpad 600e and powermanagement

David linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:41:15 -0600

I have an issue with my TP 600e and need some help. I have googled
extensivly, that is how I found this list in fact. I am using SuSE 9.3.
This has to do with power management. When the laptop is using AC and
goes into standby mode the lcd goes black and will not return without
intervention. I have to unplug the AC and use Fn-F12 to put in
hibernation or I can use Fn-F4 for the suspend mode and bring it back
and the lcd comes back up with the rest of the system. If I go to the
Kpowersave icon in the tray an use it to put it in suspend2ram mode
things work fine on AC or DC. Goes down and comes back including the
monitor with out any problem at all. Using DC everything works as
expected also. I have found several instances of this using google but
have not found a solution that works for me. It seems when I use the
Fn-F3 or Fn-F4 the computer goes into a standby mode instead of a
suspend2ram. I would like it to never go down while running on AC as I
often leave things compiling and many times that takes over an hour. I
have a dos partition for the hfile and also to hold my PS2.EXE stuff. I
have set everything up with PS2 and while in the dos mode there is no
problem. The pad will suspend. The monitor will still stay black on
resume. Only when I have booted linux does the monitor shutdown during a
suspend. I have tried with DPMS on and off and that does not seem to
have an effect either way. Which should be the correct way. on or off? I
have used acpi_sleep=s3_bios to try and fix this.

Why would my pad go into standby mode and not suspend to ram when using
the Fn keys while on AC under linux?
How can I keep the monitor from shutting down and not coming back?
Does anyone know if the command that Kpowersave uses to suspend2ram?
Could I map the Fn combination to that command?

There may be something I am not doing to set things up with PS2 properly.
I hope I have made some sense here. I sometimes have trouble explaining
what my problem is.

Thank's
David