[ltp] Re: SOT: Linux friendly MP3 player

Michael Perry linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:19:48 +0000 (UTC)

jcms wrote:

>   I've an iriver iFP-899 and I'm very happy with it.
>
>   1GBytes
>   FM radio
>   MP3 encoder
>   Recorder ( voice & radio )
>
>   It's small and runs on one AA battery.
>
>   I use ifpmanager.pl on my linux box to move files around.

I've been using a 40g Ipod for quite some time with debian unstable and
GTKpod.  Works very well for me.  In fact, when I first got the Ipod a
year or so ago, I had problems getting music onto it using XP so read
the readme for GTKpod and had it working pretty easily including
auto-mounting the ipod when I hook it up.  Be sure to read the readme
carefully because I made a single stupid mistake by removing the device
without unmounting it first and it messed things up significantly.

I've only tried this on a relatively recent 2.6 kernel but I have had
Fedora Core 4 and Debian Unstable syncing it very easily.

Cost may be an issue though and I'm unsure anymore what the 40g ipods
cost out at.

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try --Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org