[ltp] Finally!! boot from USB flash drive works

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:00:05 -0500

Nathan Smith wrote:

> That's great. I've tried this in the past as well. If I've been
> successful I don't remember it because all I remember is the many
> failures. More details would be great! What combination of tools did
> you use that made it finally work?
>
> -Nathan

Get mkbt from the net.
put a bootable floppy in the a:
under W2K my USB flash is h: so:
run cmd

mkbt -x a: h:

The -x seems to be the trick even though the docs don't really seem to
say that .

copy command.com, msdos.sys, io.sys and whatever files you wish to run.

I have tried several things that I sort of threw together using DJGPP and
some programs that originally were on hard drives and they do boot up
and run.

For now, the only Thinkpads that I have been able to boot up this way
are A31s.
Even my  A30, A20M, and A22M  don't seem to see the flash drive.
I will keep trying this especially since I now know that the flash drive
is bootable.

If anyone else on the list has a machine type that works, please let us
know.
A31s are both expensive and very, very fragile so it would be nice to find a
more suitable box.

fun,, fun, fun....
   Bert