[ltp] Re: Forward/backward keys in Firefox

Leon Brokken linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:03:52 +0100

--------------080805080407070203000600

Paul Bolle wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 19:16 +0100, Leon Brokken wrote:
>

>>Eric Kjeldergaard wrote:

>>>Perhaps try assigning them to XF86Back and XF86Forward?
>>>

>>in ~/.Xmodmap
>>keycode 233 = XF86Back
>>keycode 234 = Forward
>>
>>Doesn't work either. Or should I have made those entries somewhere
>>else
>>

>Did you again update content/browser/browser.xul
>in /usr/lib/firefox-$RELEASE/chrome/browser.jar (I'm using the settings
>of my FC3 system here)? I have to edit that file with every Firefox
>update on my system to get those two keys working in Firefox again. (It
>could be possible to write a small extension to do just that. I haven't
>yet tried to do that.)

I have never had to do that before. I just installed a new version and
the keys would work.
Could you explain how to "update content/browser/browser.xul in
/usr/lib/firefox-$RELEASE/chrome/browser.jar"?
I read that the latest 1.0.7 release had some changes regarding
keybindings, but I didn't quite get it. Something to do with CTRL+key
bindings. Anyway, the fix suggested there didn't help either. See
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Emacs_Keybindings_%28Firefox%29

Cheers, Leon.

--------------080805080407070203000600

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Paul Bolle wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 19:16 +0100, Leon Brokken wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Eric Kjeldergaard wrote:
    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">On 11/3/05, Leon Brokken <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:leon.brokken@med.lu.se">&lt;leon.brokken@med.lu.se&gt;</a> wrote:
      </pre>
        <pre wrap="">In ~/.Xmodmap I have added the following

! Browser Forward and Backward keys
keycode 233 = F22
keycode 234 = F21

to enable the forward and backward keys (in the arrow keys panel on the
bottom right) for browsing. This used to work well in Firefox until
version 1.0.6. However, in the latest 1.0.7 this doesn't seem to work
anymore.

Anyone a clue as to what is wrong? And how to restore this? Have a T41
running Slackware-current.

        </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Perhaps try assigning them to XF86Back and XF86Forward?

      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">in ~/.Xmodmap
keycode 233 = XF86Back
keycode 234 = Forward

Doesn't work either. Or should I have made those entries somewhere
else
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Did you again update content/browser/browser.xul
in /usr/lib/firefox-$RELEASE/chrome/browser.jar (I'm using the settings
of my FC3 system here)? I have to edit that file with every Firefox
update on my system to get those two keys working in Firefox again. (It
could be possible to write a small extension to do just that. I haven't
yet tried to do that.)
  </pre>
I have never had to do that before. I just installed a new version and
the keys would work.<br>
Could you explain how to "update content/browser/browser.xul in
/usr/lib/firefox-$RELEASE/chrome/browser.jar"?<br>
I read that the latest 1.0.7 release had some changes regarding
keybindings, but I didn't quite get it. Something to do with CTRL+key
bindings. Anyway, the fix suggested there didn't help either. See
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Emacs_Keybindings_%28Firefox%29">http://kb.mozillazine.org/Emacs_Keybindings_%28Firefox%29</a><br>
Cheers, Leon.<br>

--------------080805080407070203000600--