[ltp] High power use during suspend to RAM (T40 2373-A1U). I know, I know

Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:12:09 +0200

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 12:41:01AM -0800, G. David Atkins II wrote:
> I thought I really had a handle on standard kernel suspend. And, was
> ready to make it happen.
>=20
> Also, I'm not really interested in SoftwareSuspend2, or having to patch
> the kernel.
>=20
> I need the current FC4 kernels because of other constraints.
>=20
> I did the stuff from:
>         http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_high_power_drain_in_ACPI_s=
leep
>=20
> Specifically:
>         # mkinitrd --with=3Dradeonfb \
>         /boot/initrd-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4_radeonfb.img `uname -r`
>
> And, I get the following error on boot and on "modprobe -i radeonfb
> radeon_force_sleep=3D1"

Do you get an error if you do 'modprobe radeonfb' without the
radeon_force_sleep option?

What sort of Radeon do you have?

lspci tells me I have

  0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobil=
ity M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]

on my T42.  I did not have to change my initrd to get radeonfb working;
I just added it to /etc/modules (which on Debian contains a list of
module names to be loaded during startup).  When I was experimenting, I
didn't even need to modprobe radeonfb before starting X -- I just
switched to a text console with Ctrl+Alt+F1, logged in there, ran sudo
modprobe radeonfb, and it worked nicely -- X didn't even break when I
switched back.

>         . . .
>         PCI: Unable to reserve mem region #1:8000000@e0000000 for device
>         0000:01:00.0
>         radeonfb (0000:01:00.0): cannot reserve PCI regions.  Someone
>         already got them?

Interesting.  What does /proc/iomem show for this region?  I get

  e0000000-e7ffffff : PCI Bus #01
    e0000000-e7ffffff : 0000:01:00.0
        e0000000-e7ffffff : radeonfb

when radeonfb is loaded.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Favorite MAC error message: "Not enough memory to eject disk!"

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM--