[ltp] Thinkpad 600e and powermanagement

David linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:11:03 -0600

Well Wes I am sorry about that. In the meantime I attended a seminar and
won a copy of Novell/
Suse 10.0. I thought I would go ahead and do the upgrade while my 9.3
install was still pretty new. I had just completed the install after
losing a harddrive.(that is when my powermanagement problem popped up)
This was a disaster. Not only did I lose my sound, but I lost my
wireless as well.  I have been in contact with Novell and was assured it
was a buggy kernel and if I did a security update the problem would be
fixed. The trouble is my pad does not have a wired NIC and without
wireless I am unable to do an update.  I have emailed asking for a link
so I can download the update using a different computer but have not
heard from them yet.

Anyway I had done the install with ACPI disabled. I was trying to use
APM. I was using SuSE 9.3 with Kernel 2.6.11.  I wonder if disabling
ACPI during install may have been part of my problem. I had done the
install that I had just lost with my hard drive over a year ago and I
don't remember doing that install the same way. Just can't remember.
That installation worked well. So for now I guess I will wait for a
response from Novell and may have to repost when those issues are
resolved.

Do you have any thoughts on how I should approach the powermanagement
when my other problems are resolved?

David