[ltp] Re: T41: FN-key as a modifier?

Fionn Behrens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 05 Nov 2005 22:55:28 +0100

--=-p6XkdTzIVMTg96Kg/wM0

On Sa, 2005-11-05 at 22:10 +0100, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> I'm in the process of switching from an iSeries 1200 to a T41.  The
> iSeries a had the Windows keys and I enjoyed the left one as a modifier
> for keyboard shortcuts of several window manager functions (FVWM).  Now,
> as the T41 doesn't have any Windows keys, I'd like to use the FN key for
> that purpose, but I haven't found a way to make it work as a modifier in
> X.org 6.8.2.  Here's what I've added to my "~/.Xmodmap":
>=20
>   keycode 227 =3D Super_L add Mod4 =3D Super_L
>=20
> The key works, but - as "xev" shows - when it is pressed, other keys
> that are pressed are ignored, i.e. it seems like the FN-key somehow
> blocks the keyboard.  So:
>=20
> How do I make the FN-key work as a modifier key?  Any ideas?

short&simple: you cant.

But you can use the otherwise useless Shift-Lock key for that purpose:

#!/bin/sh
xmodmap -e "keycode 66 =3D Super_L"
xmodmap -e "clear control"
xmodmap -e "add control =3D Control_L Control_R"
xmodmap -e "clear mod4"
xmodmap -e "add mod4 =3D Super_L Super_R"

Viola, there is you "Windows"-key.

best regards,
		Fionn
--=20
 80% der Konservativen, die mir begegnen, sind im Grunde Sozis die keinen=20
 Durchblick haben. (80% of the Republicans I meet are just Democrats who
 don't know what's going on.)                       *** Robert Kennedy Jr.

--=-p6XkdTzIVMTg96Kg/wM0

--=-p6XkdTzIVMTg96Kg/wM0--