[ltp] Not so fast: No sound on T4x with alsa (snd-intel8x0) and 2.6.x

engage linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 6 Nov 2005 11:59:35 -0700

On Sunday 06 November 2005 09:37 am, Cedric Ware wrote:
>	Hello,
>
>> 1) amixer sset "Headphone Jack Sense" off
>> 2) amixer sset "Line Jack Sense" off
>> 3) alsactl store
>
>Sorry to rain on your parade, but muting Headphone/Line Jack Sense is a
>known fix, which works in some cases, but not all--e.g. mine (and yes,
>I've just tried again with these exact commands...)
>
>After some discussion on the alsa-users mailing list in August, I posted
>a bug report: https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1381
>Unfortunately, there hasn't been much feedback since then.  I don't even
>know whom to remind of this or how to provide more debug information...
>
>I have yet to try ALSA version 1.0.10rc2.  Other suggestions are of course
>still welcome.
>
>					Thanks anyway,
>					Cedric.

I didn't see the original post since I'm a new subscriber but I figured I'd
add my comments about this anyway. By default, Mandriva 10.2 (2005LE)
installed the snd_intel8x0 driver on both my laptops (IBM Thinkpad T41 & Dell
Inspiron 600m). I could not get sound with that driver but I could get sound
with the i810_audio OSS driver. The kernel was 2.6.11-12mdk. I upgraded the
kernel in both machines to 2.6.14 which I downloaded from kernel.org. I built
the kernel without support for OSS which left me using the ALSA snd_intel8x0
driver. I still couldn't get any sound even though the driver loaded. So, I
rebuilt the kernel with module support for OSS and I got sound with the
i810_audio OSS driver. I haven't tried the latest alsa since I have a huge
rpm dependency problem trying to remove the alsa packages. I'm currently
using alsa 1.0.8-15mdk.