[ltp] exceeding maximum memory?

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 20:48:09 +0000

Hi, I've been happily running linux on a T21 for over 4 years and
it's all just fine, except I need more memory - everything is
getting bigger, and I find my regular load of emacs, X, firefox,
openoffice, and the occasional vmware, leaves me too often in
paging frenzy hell with the disc light ON and processes crawling
along.

Both the (excellent) crucial.com memory guide and the ibm.com
specs say this machine can take a maximum of 2 x 256 Mb, which is
what I have.

However, if I run dmidecode, I see this clause...

	Memory Controller Information
		Error Detecting Method: None
		Error Correcting Capabilities:
			None
		Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave
		Current Interleave: One-way Interleave
		Maximum Memory Module Size: 512 MB
		Maximum Total Memory Size: 1024 MB
		Supported Speeds:
			Other
		Supported Memory Types:
			DIMM
			SDRAM
		Memory Module Voltage: 3.3 V
		Associated Memory Slots: 2
			0x0008
			0x0009
		Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities:
			None

Hmmm - looks like I might be able to put 2 x 512 Mb in there.
Does anyone know whether that might work?

Michael.