[ltp] Re: sound after suspend broken after upgrade to Mandriva 2006 on T20

Mark Stosberg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 01:23:52 +0000 (UTC)

On 2005-11-08, Michael Reinsch <mr@uue.org> wrote:

>> There's one thing that used to work that I can't get to work now:=20
>> Having sound work after suspending and resuming the laptop.
>
> Are you using ALSA or OSS?

AlSA.

> I used ALSA on my T20 and suspend with ACPI
> worked OK (there were sometimes some issues with ACPI suspend to disk in
> the kernel in Mandriva Cooker, not sure which one went in 2006). Anyway,
> for suspend I used in /etc/sysconfig/suspend:
>
> RESTORE_SOUND=3D"yes"
> #SOUND_MODULES=3D"..."
>
> and:
> RESTART_SERVICES=3D"mysqld irda alsa anacron cpufreq cpufreqd
> mDNSResponder"
>
> The last entry makes sure that the alsa modules are unloaded before
> suspend and reloaded after resume.=20
>
> You can also try this by hand first: suspend and resume and then do a
> "service alsa restart". That should bring back sound (at least it did so
> on my T20).

This was a helpful tip, and it worked. Actually, it didn't fully restart
when I used this command, but it gave the pids of the processes blocking
it. From there, I could kill the pids, and then cleaning restart 'alsa'.

This allowed me to try to new things much faster than doing a fall
restart each time!

What worked for me was to "not" use KLaptop to suspend. Instead, I use
Fn-F4. For some reason, this causes Mandriva's suspend related shell
scripts to run, when KLaptop does not.

Thanks again to both you who replied!

In summary:
  Kernel 2.6.12
  ACPI
  Set RESTORE_SOUND=yes in /etc/sysconfig/suspend
  Use Fn-F4 to suspend

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/