[ltp] swsusp vs. Hibernate?

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:16:56 +1300

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:19, Bill Sheppard wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I've got a T42 w/1GB RAM running SuSE 9.3.  Suspend-to-disk (via
> standard kernel swsusp) works fine, but generally takes a long time
> while freeing memory in order to fit the suspend image into available
> swap space.  I'd rather dedicate up to a GB on the hard disk for a
> suspend file and not worry about freeing memory prior to suspend.

So, why not just dedicate a larger swap partition (existing swap + 1G), which
you'll get more use out of than just for hibernating?

> Can I
> do this with standard swsusp, or can I enable Redisafe somewhere and use
> that for hibernate rather than swsusp?

Redisafe just means the computer writes to hibernate when you tell it to
suspend, just in case the battery dies while it's suspended.  No difference
in where it writes to, so no advantage.

Cheers,
Bret