[ltp] Switching from fglrx back to radeon?

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:35:24 -0500

Hi All:
In order to view stellarium, I installed the latest proprietary fglrx
driver for 3D. I switched to a xorg.conf file with fglrx driver,
everything works fine with 3D acceleration. However when I stopped X,
then copy back the old xorg.conf file and restart x with radeon driver,
the screen is garbled. See this:
http://physics.harvard.edu/~jqian/computer/garbled_screen.png
When I switch again to fglrx driver it is fine again. The problem is
that I can't get fglrx driver to sleep, so I'd like to have my radeon
driver xorg back when I'm done with stellarium stuff. Any idea how?

After a full reboot back to radeon driver, it is fine. Yet the funny
thing is that if I init 1 then init 5, without going through the total
reboot, the radeon is still garbled. Why does it make a difference
between a full reboot and init 1 then init 5?

/var/log/Xorg.log does not show any warning about radeon driver.

I'm using ubuntu Hoary with 2.12.4 kernel and fglrx version 8.18.8

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.