[ltp] T41: swsusp vs. swsusp2

honey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:59:30 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Felix E. Klee wrote:

> I recently acquired a T41 and I'd like to know:
>
>  Is there any advantage in using Software Suspend 2 instead of the
>  Software Suspend built into the original kernel?
>
> In particular, I'm interested in the following aspects:
>
> * Stability

Hard one to call.  Swsusp (1) is ancient and pretty much unmaintained
as far as I can see.  It's in the kernel, but distros like Red Hat
refused to switch it on by default as it still provoked the occasional
accusation of file corruption on lkml.

Swsusp2, aka suspend2 has a really solid, friendly and competent
development team behind it, and is on its way into the kernel (see
recent discussions on lkml) but isn't there yet.  Try #suspend2 on
Freenode or the mailing list and see what a nice responsive community it
is - a pleasant surprise.  It had a rough patch 6 months ago but has
been rock solid for me for ages.  I've never lost a file to it: some
have, but I suspect they didn't know how to recover properly during
that rough patch.

If you happen to be using Fedora,
http://mhensler.de/swsusp/download_en.php makes it an easy choice.

> * Speed