[ltp] swsusp vs. Hibernate?

Bill Sheppard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:55:23 -0800

Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 02:58, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>
>> On 11/9/05, Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> So, why not just dedicate a larger swap partition (existing swap + 1G),
>>> which you'll get more use out of than just for hibernating?
>>>
>> This is totally subjective, but it doesn't seem like the normal kernel
>> implementation attempts to shrink only until it fits in the available
>> swap space.  It seems to try to shrink as much as it possibly can and
>> then goes and applies whatever it's left with to swap space.  So
>> adding more swap space doesn't seem likely to shorten the "shrinking"
>> cycle.  Am I wrong?
>>

> I will admit that I don't know about that.
>
> I am pretty sure however, that neither a separate swap partition, nor Redisafe
> will speed this up.  Perhaps swsusp2 might - if the compression+writing is
> quicker than the writing alone.

The write speed is totally fine - usually five seconds or less.  It's
the time spent freeing up memory (as much as a minute or more), and the
resultant paging when restoring which I'm trying to avoid.

Bill

Bill Sheppard                                  Industry Marketing Manager
bill.sheppard@sun.com                   Consumer and Mobile Systems Group
(408) 404-1254 (x68154)                            Sun Microsystems, Inc.