[ltp] Re: T41: swsusp vs. swsusp2

honey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:49:51 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Shannon McMackin wrote:

> In checking back, I was successful in getting suspend2 to run on a
> vanilla 2.6.14.1 kernel in Ubuntu Breezy.  I will say that based on the
> recommendations in the Ubunut forum, it's very slow.  Worse than
> standard suspend in most distros.
>
> Something on the order of ~2min to suspend and maybe ~3-4min to resume.
> Cold boots are better than that.
>
> I will keep fiddling because I don't think all the hibernate settings
> recommended make sense.
>
> Shannon

Yes, definitely something wrong there, Shannon - hard to say exactly
what.  My T40 (1GB ram) suspends to disk in approximately (a guess)
10-15 seconds and the same plus the time for it to get to grub to
resume (plus a few seconds for graphics to reset itself).

Suspend2 did have a relatively rare issue about 2-3 months ago where
suspend times suddenly got very slow - something to do with disk access
mode or something - but it was fairly quickly cleared up I think.  Are
these Ubuntu users using the 2.2-rc series of suspend2?  I'm yet to try
it on my Ubuntu partition.

Well worth checking the logs after resume - they will give a reading of
the Mb/s the suspend/resume read/write took. /var/log/hibernate.log from
memory.

But I can confirm 2-4 minutes to suspend/resume with suspend2 isn't
expected or acceptable, and the developers would want to resolve that!
Nor would I use it at that speed.  Those Ubuntu forum users should pop
into #suspend2 on freenode.

Honey