[ltp] Slightly OT: external USB keyboard w/Ultranav: synaptics, trackpoint

Wolfgang Karall linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:16:51 +0100

--=-rZbVg5BhXjp9PTySpJkQ

Hello,

since I bought the external IBM keyboard with Ultranav today and read a
couple of mails about it not too long ago on this list, just a short
report.

Basically it works fine, and "out of the box". But both the touchpad and
the trackpoint both work as normal mouse, no special features possible.

At least for the touchpad I got it to play nice with the Xorg/XFree86
synaptics driver by using the cpad Linux driver from
http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~p1stja/linux/cpad.html and patching it
so it recognized the touchpads USB ID (which is 06cb:0009 btw). Patch
attached since it's so small, and also sent to the maintainer. Loading
the cpad module makes it show up in /proc/bus/input/devices, and using
the associated /dev/input/eventX device and the synaptics driver for
Xorg with

"Option" "Protocol" "event"

I'm now happily using the touchpad with CircularScrolling. Or rather,
I'm happy I can disable it most of the time with the synclient helper
program. ;)

The trackpoint OTOH I couldn't get to work properly, it's rather jumpy
and not as usable as on my Thinkpad. If Stephen Evanchik is reading
this: do you think it's possible to extend your trackpoint driver so it
also works with USB devices? Of course I'm willing to help, as far as my
petty kernel and c programming skills permit. :)

Otherwise the keyboard is fine, although the tab key is squeaking a bit
(already!?), which is a bit annoying in the shell with all the tab
completions I usually do.

Regards
WK
--
http://linux.spiney.org/debian_gnu_linux_on_an_ibm_thinkpad_t43p

--=-rZbVg5BhXjp9PTySpJkQ

diff -c -Nrp cpad-2.6/cpad.c cpad-2.6-ibm-ultranav/cpad.c
*** cpad-2.6/cpad.c	Mon Jun  6 18:33:16 2005
--- cpad-2.6-ibm-ultranav/cpad.c	Fri Nov 11 19:37:51 2005
***************
*** 104,113 ****
--- 104,115 ----
  #define USB_VENDOR_ID_SYNAPTICS 0x06cb
  #define USB_DEVICE_ID_SYN_USB   0x0002
  #define USB_DEVICE_ID_CPAD      0x0003
+ #define USB_DEVICE_ID_IBM       0x0009

  static struct usb_device_id cpad_idtable [] = {
  	{ USB_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_SYNAPTICS, USB_DEVICE_ID_CPAD) },
  	{ USB_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_SYNAPTICS, USB_DEVICE_ID_SYN_USB) },
+ 	{ USB_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_SYNAPTICS, USB_DEVICE_ID_IBM) },
  	{ }
  };
  MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE (usb, cpad_idtable);

--=-rZbVg5BhXjp9PTySpJkQ--