[ltp] Slightly OT: external USB keyboard w/Ultranav: synaptics, trackpoint

Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:48:42 +0000

Wolfgang Karall wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 19:41 +0000, Richard Neill wrote:
>
>>My trackpoint works fine - it certainly isn't jumpy in any way (and I'm
>>just using the default settings). Could you be using mouse acceleration.?
>

> I just restart Xorg and it seems to be better now. No idea what exactly
> was wrong before.

Glad to hear it!

>>I would be delighted to see a way to set the sensitivity up higher (like
>>you can with tp4d) though, so please do let me know if you find a way to
>>do this!
>

> Since the tp4utils (which I've never used, so take this with a grain of
> salt) website http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~strauman/pers/tp4utils/
> mentions PS2 so often, I guess it's not possible to use it with the USB
> keyboard.

I know. tp4d is fantastic, but only with the internal trackpoint, and
only with kernel 2.4. But if you get the trackpoint sensitivity set to
high, it is a delight to use, and you have a really light touch.

[Note that the symptom of the trackpoint moving on its own gets a bit
worse - you have to remember either
	a) don't rest your finger on the tp when not trying to move it
	b) get used to it recalibrating when you take your finger away (only
takes about 1 sec)
]

> BTW, nice hardware hack. :)

Thanks. I could find a circuit diagram if needed - although it is really
very simple.

But I'll just upgrade to Xorg 6.9/7 for the
> middle-button scrolling, after I tried tp-scroll once more. And for the
> moment thumb + index finger and Emulate3Buttons is enough.

Good luck. Personally, I much prefer EmulateWheelTimeout instead of
tp-scroll. tp-scroll is a good idea, but it can be too easy to generate
surplus clicks.

Lastly, you can also have horizontal scrolling with EmulateWheel !
[But you have to disable the daft binding in firefox between
horiz-scroll and Back/Forward]

Richard