[ltp] No sound after reboot

Bill Sheppard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:55:40 -0800

David Gillis wrote:
> Good morning,   I have a Thinkpad 600e with a brand new, clean install
> of SuSE 9.3. Here is the output of uname.
>
> 2.6.11.4-21.9-default #1 Fri Aug 19 11:58:59 UTC 2005 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linux
>
> The problem is this. I can use the YaST install product and install my
> sound and it works well. All is autodetected goes without a hitch. I
> can also use alsaconf and the soundcard is found and set up and works
> great as well. I have used alsactl store to save the settings. When I
> do either of these setup procedures things work beautifully. Now comes
> the catch. When the computer reboots the sound is gone. I go into the
> YaST setup for sound and the card is found but shows not configured. I
> can do the setup again and sound works great until a reboot. The same
> for alsaconf, works great until a reboot. I have read what seems to be
> about 100 posts in many forums and googled a lot. I have not found a
> solution to this anywhere. I have also posted in different forums and
> received no replies at all. I am hoping some of the guru's on this
> list can help me.
I've found some hardware needs more than a reboot, it needs a full
power-down (presumably in order to reset certain hardware registers).
You might try doing a full (15 second) power-down rather than just a reboot.

Bill

Bill Sheppard                                  Industry Marketing Manager
bill.sheppard@sun.com                   Consumer and Mobile Systems Group
(408) 404-1254 (x68154)                            Sun Microsystems, Inc.