[ltp] New ATI Driver

Mario Limonciello linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:11:19 -0600

I'm shocked and appalled that this hasn't been mentioned yet on this list!

ATI's new driver (8.19.10) was recently released.  It introduces the
first support in fglrx for suspend/resume as well as PowerPlay.

Once you install it, you can configure your settings for Power
Management with the provided aticonfig utility.

aticonfig --lsp

Will list your possible states to be in.

ati-config --set-powerstate=NUMBER

Will set your video card to this state.
As of now this can be set to be defaulted in xorg with an option in your
xorg.conf file, or you can change it on the fly using the aticonfig utility.

Combine this with CPU frequency scaling and this is the first time that
my r50p thinkpad sounds like it does in windows.  My fan is off most of
the time, and when its not, its almost inaudible.

As for suspend/resume.  I use regular ol' software suspend, and have no
troubles with the defaults that Ubuntu/breezy or Ubuntu/dapper provide.
There has been some talk that I have read however, about software
suspend2 not working correctly, and some other chatter that vbetool
SHOULDN't be used.  So, obviously, being the first release your mileage
may vary.
While on this subject, switching VT's finally works again too.  If you
have scripts that need to swtich out of X, or you need to kill some
memory hogging app in X, you can switch around and back without
corruption or anything.

I look forward to reading more success stories :)