[ltp] New ATI Driver -- Suspend 2 success

Nikias Bassen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 01:11:43 +0100

Hi all,

I just found a working solution for the fglrx 8.19.10 + Suspend 2.2-rc9
running on my T41p with kernel 2.6.14 pre-empt.
problem I described in one of my last mails.

The following error occurs just when atomic copy should take place:

"Pageset1 has grown by 2597 pages. Only 100 growth is allowed for!"

The value 100 is defined as a constant in kernel/power/prepare_image.h:

#define EXTRA_PD1_PAGES_ALLOWANCE 100

So I changed this value to 3000 and suspend and resume works
flawlessly after recompiling my kernel.
There is no need for vbetool or any "XHacks".

To be sure, I contacted Suspend 2 developer Nigel Cunningham,
and this is what he says:

------8<------------8<-----------8<-------
There shouldn't be any bad effects from increasing the value. Up until
now, we haven't needed higher values because most drivers hardly
allocate any memory when told to suspend. Since flgrx is allocating
more, I can increase the value in my version too. It will just mean that
Suspend will over-estimate the amount of memory it needs by a greater
margin for people who don't have fglrx, and may free up a little more
memory than it would otherwise.

So happy trying to you all ;)

Greetings,
Nikias