[ltp] T43 - Adding more memory

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:28:56 +1300

--nextPart2279670.Q19vvm1bsV

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:18, bruce zuo wrote:

> I wonder if it is alright I install linux on my new T43 now and add more
> memory in the future. If it is OK to keep all my job untouched after
> upgrade the memory?

You can install and use GNU/LInux now if it works.

If you add more memory to a working system, it typically works better.  Les=
s=20
swapping of memory to disk means more perceived speed, and probably longer=
=20
battery life.

If the new larger memory exceeds the size of the swap partition you've=20
created, you may not be able to suspend to swap after increasing the memory=
 -=20
so make the swap partition large enough for the memory size you will have, =
or=20
be prepared to re-partition your disk later to accommodate the increased=20
memory.

I can't think of any other possible conflict with more memory.  Perhaps=20
someone else can.

Cheers,
Bret