[ltp] T41: swsusp vs. swsusp2

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:48:50 +1300

--nextPart5350057.HepRESrkuq

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:33, Peter B. West wrote:

> Ok, so does the in-kernel swsusp work?  I have a TP G41 with a HT P4
> processor.  I gather that I cannot suspend to RAM while running in HT.
> Will swsusp work?  Does it suspend to swap?  How much swap do  need?
> Where can the answers to this and a host of other questions be found?

I am using a particular kernel patch set so that I can compile support for =
my=20
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 tuner, and didn't find a kernel that also would=20
patch for swsusp2, so I used the already-in-the-kernel swsusp.

Works a treat - no hassles because any other patch will have already taken =
it=20
into account because it's already in any kernel the patch was made against!

There is:
suspend to RAM		(APM or ACPI - both can do it)
suspend to swap		(swsusp in the kernel, APM or ACPI - both can do it)
suspend to swap 2	(swsusp2 patch for the kernel)
APM suspend to special file

swsusp in the kernel suspends to the swap.  As swsusp doesn't compress the=
=20
image, it requires swap larger than RAM.

Where to read about it?  USE THE COMPUTER, LUKE!  8-)

Get your computer to find it for you.  The usual places:

Google "swsusp" and don't read about swsusp2

=46ind files with 'swsusp' in the NAME:
find  /usr/src/linux/ | grep swsusp
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/power/swsusp.S
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/power/swsusp.o
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/power/.swsusp.o.cmd
/usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/kernel/swsusp.S
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/power/swsusp.txt <=3D THIS ONE
/usr/src/linux/kernel/power/swsusp.c
/usr/src/linux/kernel/power/swsusp.o
/usr/src/linux/kernel/power/.swsusp.o.cmd

=46ind files that mention 'swsusp' INTERNALLY, then filtered a second time =
by=20
name;
grep -R swsusp /usr/src/linux | grep Doc
<snip>
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/power/video.txt:This is not problem for swsusp=
,=20
because during swsusp resume, BIOS is
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/power/video.txt:testing (swsusp should work ok=
,=20
OTOH).
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/power/tricks.txt:  swsusp/S3 tricks
<snip>

Interesting - I didn't know about that 'power/tricks.txt' file...

Computers are here to extend my reach.

Cheers,
Bret