[ltp] Halleluja, it actually WORKS! (Re: New ATI Driver)

Fionn Behrens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:48:39 +0100

On So, 2005-11-13 at 02:11 -0600, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> I'm shocked and appalled that this hasn't been mentioned yet on this list=
!
>=20
> ATI's new driver (8.19.10) was recently released.  It introduces the=20
> first support in fglrx for suspend/resume as well as PowerPlay.

Heaven and hell, I cant believe it!
Its not only there but it works, too!

I played Neverwinter Nights for some hours without a problem and it
suspended to RAM without a hitch several times!

This is a fscking dream coming true. Finally!

> Once you install it, you can configure your settings for Power=20
> Management with the provided aticonfig utility.
> [...]
> Combine this with CPU frequency scaling and this is the first time that=20
> my r50p thinkpad sounds like it does in windows.  My fan is off most of=20
> the time, and when its not, its almost inaudible.

On my T42p I cant really tell if powerplay does better than radeons
"DynamicClocks" driver option. The temperature readings dont differ that
much. May be its 1 or 2 =B0C, but I am not sure.

this is a good day. Yes!

F.
--=20
 Taking away civil rights to protect a free democracy is like taking off
 the tires of a car to protect it from flats.=20