[ltp] New ATI Driver: xv fix using vbetool

Wolfgang Karall linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:06:17 +0100

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 21:02 -0500, Jiang Qian wrote:
> Unfortunately when I use various vbetool combination I get screen
>  corruption and an unresponsive computer from which I have to do a hard
>  reset with power button. That's much worse than no xv!

Having occasional lockups of X after resume, I can only suggest using
the magic system request keys, so if you're kernel has them compiled in
(see if you have an entry called /proc/sysrq-trigger) try to press (one
after the other)

Alt+Print+S (sync the disks)

Alt+Print+U (try to remount them read-only)

(wait a bit, something like 2 seconds)

Alt+Print+B (reboot the machine)

No filesystem checks necessary, no lost data, etc. Further information
can be found in Documentation/sysrq.txt in the kernel source.

Regards
WK
--
http://linux.spiney.org/debian_gnu_linux_on_an_ibm_thinkpad_t43p