[ltp] T-43p and Port Replicator II

Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:03:09 -0500

On 11/15/05, John <john@mediaonfire.com> wrote:
> On Monday 14 November 2005 03:01, Andrey Kislyuk wrote:
> > I've always hotplugged my Port Replicator II with no problems. After
> > some BIOS/driver update Windows was smart enough to autoswitch between
> > lcd and dvi on-the-fly, while in Linux that's not yet possible but
> > should be fine on LCD/VGA.
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I don't seem to be having any luck. When I lift the machine out of the po=
rt
> replicator II the LCD does not show the display. I tried Fn-F7 but no joy=
. I
> changed the BIOS settings to be VGA+LCD but that didn't help. I tried usi=
ng
> the /proc/acpi/ibm/video switches but I could only unset 'auto', not enab=
le
> any other modes.
>
> I wonder if it has to do with the different refresh rates of my 19" CRT a=
nd
> the laptop's LCD -- maybe the video card is too smart to attempt to drive=
 the
> LCD with the CRT's settings?

the problem is the radeon X server (and Xorg in general) does not have
support for ACPI events which is how the display switch is handled in
windows.  regarding the fn-f7 hotkeys, the radeon xorg server in xorg
6.8.x explicitly disables bios access to the chip, hence the hotkey
switch will not work.  this was done to prevent the bios from messing
with the chip behind the drivers back.  in windows this is all handled
via apci events and the bios (ati and the laptop makers know what the
bios is doing and know how to properly interact).  xorg from cvs and
the 6.9/7.0 RCs has an option called "bioshotkeys" that you can enable
to allow the bios to mess with the video chip.

Alex