[ltp] Slightly off topic: windows fingerprint checker bad flaw

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:27:13 -0500

If you don't have fingerprint reader or have blown away your xp
partition, stop reading now.

This is off topic but I seem to have discovered a critical flaw in the
dual-boot windows partition of my computer in the way it check the
fingerprint.  It seems that if you configure windows to use fingerprint
log in and enroll several fingers, and boot up windows. when you roll
any finger, *not* the ones you log in, *as soon as* the fingerprint
login screen appear but has not been properly initialized(when it's
saying "please wait...") you get logged right in. No matter what
finger you use. This defeat the whole fingerprint login protection.

Note this does not happen if once logged in, you log out then try to
log in again. In that case only the fingers you enrolled log you in.

Also this does not seem to affect when you use fingerprint as power-on
security like hard drive password. So it does not affect my linux
partition at all, where pam, combined with beta driver, does a proper
job authenticating finger print. It is a windows software flaw.

For those of you who keep a windows partition, be aware, you might want
to check your fingerprint login in windows. This is on a T43 with
windows xp sp2.

If people can confirm this, does anyone know who to report? Frankly I
don't care about this flaw, I use windows only for hardware testing
purpose.  Yet I'm sure there're gazillion of windows only users who
should be aware of this.

Jiang