[ltp] hotswap dvd + battery

Arnd Hannemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:28:13 +0100

Hi,

Stefan Schmidt wrote:

>Hello.
>
>On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 10:26, Arnd Hannemann wrote:
>

>>DMA is disabled when I put it back in, but I can switch it on again with
>>hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc with no problem.
>>

>That sounds goof for you, but not for me. :(
>After i eject and insert the drive, i get the following:
>
>fairlight:~# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc
>
>/dev/hdc:
> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>   using_dma    =  0 (off)
>
>Kernel 2.6.14
>System T40p
>
>Can you please post your kenrel version

Kernel is vanilla 2.6.10 with additional madwifi patches. No initrd, so
ide drivers are built into the kernel.

>an idectl command to register
>the drive.

Well actually, I did not unregister or register it. (I was under the
impression, this is not needed for DVD-Drives anyway, but I'm probably
wrong?).
However if I unregister it with "hotswap unregister-ide" and eject it
and rescan the ide-bus with "hotswap rescan-ide", I get exactly the same
error as you, when I try to re-enable DMA (Operation not permitted).

So, although DMA works for me if I don't unregister the device (no
oopses so far), that's probably not the desired way to go.

I apologize for raising up your hopes, at first ;-)

But there may be another option: Alan Cox is working on PATA support for
libata. The Development is in the very beginning, but some brave people
could try it ;-)

Regards Arnd